The objective of this research program was to provide evidence (quantitative and qualitative) to the integration of a gender approach in the informal food sector, and to understand the contextual factors that impact the productive uses of energy in Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) in the street food sector in Africa.
It aimed more specifically to:
- Produce quantitative data which will be reinforced by qualitative data;
- Measure the size of the informal food sector (SAI) and its energy supply;
- Determine the type of modern energy services to disseminate to enable economic and social empowerment that can contribute to the transformation of women's roles and gender relations in business;
- Study the changes that could be made within the company itself and their possible impact on the household of the manager of the company;
- See to what extent changes (if any) in the use of energy in businesses could impact the empowerment of women.